Thursday, February 02, 2006

Snow Day = Monty Python Day

Ok, so I've finally experienced a Halifax snowstorm/blizzard...true, it's not the first time it's happened this season, but that other time was just after I left town for the holidays, so for me it doesn't count. Anyway, when I woke up yesterday morning, there was probably about 2-3 feet of snow on the ground, and transit wasn't running...needless to say, classes were cancelled. Too bad I couldn't sleep in...I was supposed to have a meeting with my GIS prof in the morning, so I was scrambling around trying to contact him and find out if our meeting was rescheduled. It was...although I didn't get a hold of him until past noon.

Anyway, despite the best intentions, I barely got work done that day. I had planned to host a Monty Python night at the house and, after finding out that people were still willing to come despite all the snow, I had to trek through the snow (and blowing wind!) to get some snacks from the store and to rent a Monty Python DVD. Took forever...walking on 3 feet of snow in rubber boots is hard (hmmm...for next Christmas, I think I want either snowshoes, or high winter boots)! Then Laura (my roommate) decided she wanted to bake some banana muffins, so we did that for a bit, then cleaned up the house, had dinner, and before I know it, it was time for the guests to arrive! We had a decent turnout...the usual crowd came, minus a few "regulars", but other people showed up too (that don't normally) so it evened out. We watched Holy Grail, but then got sidetracked by a re-run of Lost and didn't get to the second movie (Life of Brian)...but that's ok, because Blair (the guy who brought the movie) lent it to me so I get to watch it over the weekend!

Anyway, there's talk of a Superbowl party on Sunday (they promised me that we wouldn't have to actually watch the game the entire time)...not sure yet if I'll go, since I really have to get things done this weekend. I've gone out the past two weekends already, and I've got several things due in February...so it'll be mostly quiet from my end (hopefully). In other news...things are going relatively well...my tutorial sessions are going ok, we're planning to have a committee meeting soon (I hope) now that I've actually figured out who I want in the committee, and the government (for some reason) decided to up my scholarship by $200 (from a PGS-M to a CGS-M)! Now all I need is to get through February...but the reading break ought to help, if I just settle down and focus!

1 comment:

Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Sweet, congrats! I got the CGS too. Yeah, it's too bad they don't reward us with a lot more money like if we were PhD students (I think the difference is $2000 then). But it looks good on your CV!